- Click on the title to check availability in our catalog
- Then, click on the Title Info tab to see the format (VHS or DVD) and the running time for the videorecording
- Check videos out in the Media Center on the 2nd of the VC/UHV Library
- Faculty may use our Media Booking Form
- Aguirre, der Zorn Gottes Aguirre, wrath of God /
- A band of Spanish conquistadors led by Aguirre, self-styled "Wrath of God," go up the Amazon in search of gold, but Aguirre's megalomania turns the expedition into a death trip.
- Alfred Hitchcock's rear window
- As a photographer with a broken leg, Stewart takes up the fine art of spying on his Greenwich Village neighbors during a summer heat wave. Things really begin to get hot when he suspects a salesman may have murdered his nagging wife and buried the body in a flower garden. He actively enlists the help of his girlfriend to investigate the highly suspicious chain of events. Events that ultimately lead to one of the most memorable and gripping endings in film history.
- Animal farm
- An animated adaptation of Orwell's political satire. When the barnyard animals assume leadership of a prosperous farm, they learn that "some animals are more equal than others."
- An info-highway thief is swept into a battle between two hitmen, in a world where what counts is not who makes the first move, but who survives the last.
- In 1981 Jean Michel Basquiat, a nineteen-year-old unknown graffiti writer, takes the New York art world by storm.
- Thriller about a blind musician who regains her sight only to witness a murder. Because her restored vision is blurred the police are reluctant to believe her- all, that is, but a handsome detective.
- Blue Thunder
- Chosen to test Blue Thunder, Frank Murphy is amazed by the capabilities of the high-speed, high-tech chopper. It can see through walls, record a whisper or level a city block. Distrusting the military mentality behind Blue Thunder, Murphy and his partner learn the remarkable craft is slated for use as the ultimate weapon in surveillance and crowd control.
- Blues Brothers, The
- Comedy featuring musical performances by various blues artists in which an ex-convict and his friend raise money for an orphanage.
- Bob Roberts a documentary by Terry Manchester /
- A satirical comedy in which a radical folksinger turned senatorial candidate blends singing, music videos and scandal on the campaign trail.
- Body heat
- A likable, unambitious lawyer and his siren-like lover plot to kill her wealthy husband.
- Bodyguard, The
- In her spectacular film debut, Houston plays Rachel Marron, a music/movie superstar at her peak. Fans want to see her, hear her, touch her. But one wants to kill her - and that's where security expert Frank Farmer (Costner) comes in. Farmer is a professional who never lets his guard down. Rachel's glamorous life often puts her at risk. Each expects to be in charge. What they don't expect is to fall in love.
- Breaking the waves
Bess gets married -- Life with Jan -- Life alone -- Jan's illness -- Doubt -- Faith -- Bess' sacrifice -- Epilogue: the funeral.
- Believing that her prayers to God to bring her husband home from his job on an offshore oil rig caused an accident that left him paralyzed, a pious, young Scottish woman, tragically, submits to his wish that she take on other lovers, convinced that this will aid in his recovery.
- Bronx tale, A
- A hard-working bus driver must stand up to the local mob boss if he is to keep his son from falling into a life of crime.
- Brothers McMullen, The
- "After their good-for-nothing father dies and their mother leaves to be with the man she really loves, brothers Jack, Barry and Patrick are left with only each other as they struggle with their relationships. Married Jack is tempted to have an affair; Patrick isn't sure his fiancee is 'the one'; and Barry can't deal with the fact that he is actually falling in love."--Container.
- Film version of the classic opera, with Migenes-Johnson as Carmen who seduces and then spurns the young army corporal played by Domingo.
- Chamber, The
- Adam Hall is an idealistic young attorney who takes on the death row clemency case of his one-time Klansman grandfather, Sam Cayhall. With just 28 days before the execution, Adam sets out to retrace the events leading to the crime for which Sam was convicted. As the impending death sentence looms closer, Adam works quickly to uncover the family's history for any hidden clues. In a white-knuckle series of twists and turns, Adam discovers deceptions and dark secrets that ultimately lead him to the startling truth.
- Circle of friends
- Set in Ireland, this is the story of three girls who were friends when growing up. They are reunited in college, and renew their bonds. The central figure is Benny, a big girl with dreams, who sets her cap for the brightest and handsomest boy on campus.
- City lights : a comedy romance in pantomime /
- A tramp wins the love of a blind flower girl and attempts to obtain money from a millionaire to help her regain her sight.
- Crossing guard
- For six agonizing years, Freddy Gale has waited for John Booth, the man jailed for a crime that destroyed Freddy's life. Now, Booth is out of prison and Freddy's giving him three days before he returns...to even the score.
- Dante's peak
- A long-dormant volcano erupts, threatening the residents of a small town.
- Dead Poets Society
- An English professor, in an age of crew cuts, sport coats and cheerless conformity, inspires his students to live life to the fullest--changing their lives forever.
- Doll's house, A
- Nora is a woman who is sheltered first by her father and then by her husband. All her life, she has been protected like a fragile possession ... like a doll in a doll's house. After she marries, she becomes frustrated and realizes that under the dominance of her husband, she will never have an ident
- Fuenteovejuna de Lope de Vega
- Drama about the 15th century peasant uprising in Fuenteovejuna. This is a film based on the play by Spanish playwright Lope de Vega. The play is believed to have been written between 1612 and 1614 and was based on an actual historical incident.
- Great Santini, The
- Explores the relationship between a career military officer and his family.
- Hairy ape, The
- A rough ship's mate falls for a woman who uses him in her conquest of other men.
- Performance of Shakespeare's Hamlet.
- House made of dawn
- An outcast native American who experiences mystical visions of his ancestors must search for himself.
- Indecent proposal
- A husband and wife can end their financial worries by accepting the offer of a billionaire to pay a million dollars in exchange for one night with the wife, but if they do, can their marriage survive?
- Jack London's The call of the wild : dog of the Yukon /
- A dog is kidnapped from his home in California and taken to the Yukon where he is mistreated until a prospector discovers him and relates to his situation.
- A man-eating shark causes havoc off the Long Island coast and three men join together to hunt and destroy it.
- Jerk, The
- Navin Johnson, adopted son of a poor black sharecropper family, has invented some crazy inventions that lead him from rags to riches and right back to rags.
- Jurassic Park
- Kama Sutra a tale of love /
- In a seductive tale of love and betrayal, a king's courtesan is forbidden her one true love. Trained in the art of pleasure, Maya, the beautiful servant girl becomes defiant, rebelling against ancient tradition. As passion takes over, the conflict brings consequences that no one ever envisioned--C
- King of comedy, The
- Talk show host Jerry Langford is kidnapped on his way to the studio by an aspiring stand-up comic who is short on talent but long on ambition. The ransom demand: an appearance on Langford's show to perform his routine.
- In an epic saga of disorganized crime, this comedy spoof focuses on the dysfunctional crime family headed by Lloyd Bridges as ruthless, powerful, and clumsy Godfather Vincenzo Cortino. When the time comes to choose the next Don Cortino, a riotous rivalry breaks out between his two sons, one a war he
- Mass appeal
- Should a priest tell his congregation what they want to hear instead of the truth? That's just one of the issues raised in this witty and thought-provoking film version of Bill C. Davis' Tony-nominated Broadway hit.
- Merchant of Venice, The
- A television version of Jonathan Miller's London stage production of The Merchant of Venice. The play is set in the Venice of 1860. Laurence Olivier stars in Shakespeare's story of the young Venetian and the Jew who lends him money on the security of one pound of flesh. Upon default the Jew insists
- Portrays the Battle of Midway, including the events that led to this tide-turning battle, from American and Japanese points of view.
- Migrants, The
- A story of a simple family who worked the fields, loved each other, and wanted to see their hard work produce a better life.
- Mill on the floss
- A woman ahead of her time faces a choice between loyalty and love in marrying a childhood friend or her true passion, her cousin's fiance.
- My girl
- A precocious 11-year-old tomboy obsessed with death shares a poignant summer with her widowed mortician father, the sexy and kind cosmetician he hires, and most importantly with the boy-next-door who idolizes her.
- Mystery of Edwin Drood, The
- On a stormy Christmas Eve, young, handsome Edwin Drood vanishes from his quiet country village without a trace. His disappearance sets off a terrifying murder mystery that unfolds amidst dank tombs, underground crypts, and the squalid slums of Victorian England--Container.
- National Lampoon's Loaded weapon 1
- In this spoof of the Lethal weapon videos, two dangerously over-the-edge detectives uncover a despicable plot to simultaneously rot America's brains and teeth with drug-laced Wilderness Girl cookies.
- No way out
- A powerful tale of intrigue set in the political whirl of Washington and the inner corridors of the Pentagon.
- Odyssey, The
- Aided by the goddess Athena, warrior-king Odysseus braves the terrors and temptations of a fantastic array of creatures as his return from the Trojan War becomes a decade-long quest to reach his homeland and his faithful wife, Penelope.
- Of mice and men
- In Depression-era California, two migrant workers dream of better days on a spread of their own until an act of unintentional violence leads to tragic consequences.
- Party time
- As the soirée goes on inside the elegant townhouse, people are being rounded up in the street... Employing the original cast from the Almeida Theatre production and directed by Pinter himself, this 1992 production of Party Time is a surreal drama of mannerly rudeness, emotional violence, and sexual
- Persecution and assassination of Jean Paul Marat as performed by the inmates of the asylum of Charenton under the direction of the Marquis de Sade, The
- Presents "the chronicle of a production re-enacting the persecution and assassination of the mentally troubled French Revolutionary extremist, Jean Paul Marat" -- Distributor's catalog.
- Peter Bogdanovich's mask
- Rocky Dennis is a disfigured teenager whose face resembles a bizarre mask. With the help of his mother's uncompromising love and fierce determination, Rocky overcomes pain, loneliness and prejudice to emerge as an outstanding young man who becomes an inspiration to his classmates and teachers.
- Powerful story of two lawyers who join together to sue a prestigious Philadelphia law firm when the firm fires one of them because he has AIDS.
- Plaza suite
- The scene is Suite 719 of New York City's Plaza Hotel. In the first scene, Matthau's wife discovers that he is fooling around with his secretary. In the next episode, Matthau portrays a producer who calls an old flame for a rendezvous but the lady has more on her mind than romance. In the final sequ
- Pride and prejudice
- Pride and prejudice is the story of lively and rebellious Elizabeth Bennet, one of five unmarried daughters living in the countryside of 19th century England. In a world where obtaining an advantageous marriage is a woman's sole occupation, Elizabeth's independent manner threatens her family's futu Young women -- England -- Drama. 1995. 06/13/08 24 33382003608422 ocm34041755 02/01/00
- Real women have curves
- Should she leave home, go to college and experience life? Or stay home, get married, and keep working in her sister's struggling garment factory? It may seem an easy decision, but for 18-year-old Ana, every choice she makes this summer will change her life.
- A group of freelance intelligence agents work together to steal a mysterious package, only to have a doublecross throw things into confusion.
- Royal deceit
- Running man, The
- The year is 2019. Television is now ruling people's lives. In the 21st Century, the most popular "audience participation" game show is "The Running Man", where convicts can win pardons instead of "parting gifts" by defeating murderous henchmen known as "stalkers." Wrongly convicted of slaughtering 1
- Russia house, The
- Sean Connery and Michelle Pfeiffer both deliver exceptional performances as two people - he from England, she from Russia - caught up in a world of spies and politics, whose love could prove fatal to them both. When Katya, a beautiful Russian book editor attempts to send British publisher Barley Bla
- Searching for Bobby Fischer
- This heart-warming film is based on the true story of a young boy who is a chess prodigy and his father, who attempts to walk the fine line between encouraging his son's talent, and preserving the love they have for each other.
- Sex, lies, and videotape
- Erotic comedy about a long lost college friend who drifts back into town and into the lives of a self-involved philanderer, his angelic wife, and her saucy sister.
- Sharpe's. [set 1]
[pt. 1.] Sharpe's rifles -- [pt. 2.] Sharpe's eagle -- [pt. 3.] Sharpe's company -- [pt. 4.] Sharpe's enemy.
- The adventures and tribulations of a commoner soldier who rises through the ranks to become an officer in Lord Wellington's army whilst fighting in the Napoleanic wars. This set covers action in Portugal and Spain between the years 1809 and 1813.
- Sharpe's. [set 3]
[pt.1.] Sharpe's regiment -- [pt.2.] Sharpe's mission -- [pt.3.] Sharpe's siege.
- The adventures of a maverick British officer who fights behind French lines in Spain and Portugal during the Napoleonic wars.
- Sharpe's. [set 4]
[pt.1.] Sharpe's revenge -- [pt.2.] Sharpe's justice -- [pt.3.] Sharpe's Waterloo.
- The adventures of a maverick British officer who fights behind French lines in Spain and Portugal during the Napoleonic wars.
- Shining, The
- A young boy and his parents spend the winter in a resort hotel which is possessed by ghosts of its evil past.
- Shootist, The
- A terminally ill gunfighter seeks to retire quietly but is embroiled in one last battle.
- Six days, seven nights
- A dream vacation turns into a hilarious tropical nightmare when Harrison Ford and Anne Heche are stranded together on a deserted island.
- Sliding doors
- A London woman's love life and career both hinge, unknown to her, on whether or not she catches a train.
- Stealing home
- An ex-ballplayer returns home, thinking of the past and of the person who made it special. A long-time friend and mentor draws the loose ends of his past and present lives together.
- A tattoo artist kidnaps a beautiful fashion model and turns her body into a living canvas.
- Tender mercies
- Mac Sledge is a down-and-out country singer battling alcohol and depression. His ex-wife, Dixie, will not allow him to see their eighteen year old daughter Sue Ann and Dixie is now making popular the songs that Mac had written and sung. Mac's new family will not let his heartbreaks bring him down ag
- That thing you do!
- The overnight triumph of an American rock band in the glory days of rock & roll.
- Third man, The
- This is one of the classic suspense dramas of all time. Post-World War II Vienna sets the scene for this tense and absorbing thriller about an American novelist who comes to Europe for what he thinks is the funeral of an old friend and finds himself entangled in a spiralling web of international int
- Time to kill, A
- A murder trial brings a small Mississippi town's racial tensions to the flashpoint. Amid a frenzy of activist marches, Klan terror, media clamor and brutal riots, an unseasoned but idealistic young attorney mounts a stirring courtroom battle for justice.
- Top gun
- Maverick Mitchell, a daring young flyer in the U.S. Navy is out to become the best of the best at the Navy's prestigious fighter weapons school. Kelly McGillis sizzles as the civilian instructor who teaches Maverick a few things you can't learn in a classroom.
- Tora! Tora! Tora!
- A dramatization which chronicles the bombing of Pearl Harbor from both the Japanese and American points of view.
- True West
- A powerful, yet funny confrontation between two brothers set in the contemporary West.
- Under siege
- Killer-elite commandos out to hijack the USS Missouri's nuclear arsenal overpower the crew, except for the cook, who just happens to be an ex-Navy SEAL and highly decorated combat operative.
- Two retired, down-on-their luck outlaws pick up their guns one last time to collect a bounty offered by the vengeful prostitutes of the remote Wyoming town of Big Whiskey.
- A detective with a fear of heights is drawn into a complex plot involving a woman who is apparently being driven to suicide by one of her ancestors.
- Virginia Woolf's Mrs. Dalloway
- As Clarissa Dalloway prepares for an elaborate party, she remembers another summer in the past, when she was a beautiful young woman. Her preparations are interrupted by the unexpected arrival of a former suitor from that long-ago summer. As the day of the party unfolds, Mrs. Dalloway's life also be
- Wedding banquet, The
- Comedy about the age-old conflict between parents and their children. In New York, the Taiwanese half of a gay couple hopes to end his parents' matchmaking by announcing that he's engaged. What he doesn't count on is that they'll fly in to meet the bride and plan the nuptials!
- West side story
- A modern version of Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet, set in the Puerto Rican section of New York City.
- When a man loves a woman
- Alice and Michael are a passionate couple whose once-stable marriage is rocked by her increasing dependence on alcohol. As they strive to overcome this challenge, they discover a renewed sense of love and commitment.
- Who am I this time?
- Two shy people find love through their roles in a local theatre production.
- William Faulkner's Old man
- A story of a convict who rescues a pregnant woman in a great flood. The experience changes both of their lives.
- A idealistic young man searching for the man who committed the crime for which his father was convicted.
- Woman of desire
- Christin Ford (Bo Derek) is a temptress who isn't afraid to use her desire to get what she wants. When her wealthy boyfriend, Ted Ashby (Steven Bauer) hires a retired cop, Jack Lvnch (Jeff Fahey) to captain their yacht. Passions ignite at sea and Jack finds himself a pawn in a game where there are n