VC/UHV Library, Serving Victoria College and University of Houston-Victoria Victoria College University of Houston-Victoria VC/UHV Library

Services for Students

The VC/UHV Library offers a number of services to students
The VC/UHV Library offers an array of services to both distance and resident students. This includes interlibrary-loan, a wide variety of databases, computer access, study rooms,

Use the navigation bar on the left to browse what we offer

Frequently Asked Questions
Here is a list of questions students often ask. If you still need help, feel free to call at (361)-570-4166 or contact the library online.
Browser Requirements
Library databases often require an up-to-date browser. We recommend the following:
  • For Internet Explorer, Version 8 or higher
  • For Firefox, Version 10 or higher
  • For Chrome, Version 18 or higher
  • For Safari, Version 5 or higher
Use the links below if you need to download or update a browser
Other Settings
Some databases require javascript and / or cookies to be enabled. Here are links to instructions on how to check your settings

Enable Javascript
Enable Cookies

Last updated January 2017
Getting a Student ID/Library Card
student getting card

Victoria College

The Library issues campus ID cards for Victoria College students.  This campus ID card is also your library card.  All ID cards are issued at the Main Library First Floor Service Desk.

Campus IDs will be issued to enrolled students under the following guidelines:
  • Your name must appear on enrollment rosters provided to the library by the registrar. If your name is not on the roster, you must have a valid fee statement to verify current enrollment.
  • Please have your Texas Driver's License with you to verify your address.
  • Your student ID will be updated with a semester validation sticker each semester you are enrolled.
  • Replacement fee is $3.00.

University of Houston-Victoria

The Paw Pass that students receives upon registration also serves as your library card. To check out items from the library or use the computers, you will need to stop at the Service Desk on the 1st or 2nd floor and complete an information card to have your student record updated for use.

*If you did not receive a Paw Pass, you may get a temporary library card at the Library Circulation desk. The Paw Pass is issued to all UHV first year students, sophomores living in campus housing, and students who request them in person at Jag Hall in Victoria. You can get a Paw Pass by completing the online form in Jag Sync and uploading your license and a photo.
For a replacement Paw Pass, please contact Resident Life

Questions regarding library cards should be addressed to Greg Garcia, Circulation Supervisor.
Computers and Wireless Access
There are 30 computers on the 1st floor of the library and 8 in the Media Center, on the second floor. Students may login using the barcode on the back of their library/ID card and a custom PIN set up at the Circulation Desk. The library supports the Microsoft Office Suite, Internet Explorer, and software necessary for Blackboard. Email, other than Internet mail, is not supported. The computers on the first floor of the library

Students are expected to comply with the Library's Accceptable Use Policy. Students are also bound by campus computer use policies: Wireless Internet Access is available for students, staff, and faculty on all four floors of the library

Library Computers & Software FAQ

Getting Materials from Another Library

If our library does not own the book or periodical article you need, we can get it for you. The service is called Interlibrary Loan. Through Interlibrary loan, we borrow books and photocopied periodical articles on your behalf from other libraries. The Interlibrary Loan service is available to all students without charge.

Turnaround time for a periodical article is about 48 hours, for a book about 7 days. Please fill out an Online Request Form.
How Long Can I Check Out Materials?

Book Collection Type Loan Period
Main Collection & Local History 14 days
Leisure Reading 14 days
Reserve Material date set by instructor
Children/ Juvenile Collection 14 days
Curriculum Collection 14 days (limit to 3 items)
Reference Books cannot be checked out
Magazines and Journals cannot be checked out

Media Collection Type Loan Period
Video and DVDs 7 days (limit to 3 items)
Music CDs, audio books, curriculum media 14 days
(Limit to 10 media items)

Items may be renewed once. Curriculum material must be renewed in person. Renewals for other items may be placed in person or by telephone.
Library Computers FAQ
Do I need anything special to log in to a computer?
All users must have a library card (campus ID). You use your library barcode and PIN to login. You can get your campus ID, barcode, and PIN at the Circulation Desk on the first floor.

Do you charge for printing?
For students, we charge 5¢ a page for black and white printouts and 25¢ for color.

For more information, visit our Library Computers & Software FAQ page.
Using the Library from Home or Off-Campus
  • Victoria College students use their BanSam email account and password to access databases off campus.

  • University of Houston-Victoria students use their UHV students accounts for access. This is the same one used for email, Blackboard, and computer lab access.
For or information, visit our Off-Campus Access page.
Overdue fines and fees
The library does not generally charge overdue fees. However, some items, primarily multimedia items, have overdue fines of $.50 per day.
An additional $5.00 processing fee is for any item over 42 days late.

If you owe a library fine or fee, a registration block will be placed against your student record in the registrar's office. This block will prevent you from registering until the block is cleared.

Fines may be paid in cash, check, or credit card. Credit card charges have a $3.00 minimum and may be paid in person or by phone
Printing, Photocopy, and Fax Services
Printing from Library microcomputers workstations is to a central networked printer located at the Circulation desk. Color printouts are available for school-related needs only and must be done by library staff at the Library. Inquire at the Reference Desk for assistance. Requests for special papers cannot be honored. Charges for printing from microcomputer workstations are:
  • 5¢ (five cents) per page
  • Color printouts 25¢ (twenty-five centers) per page
A photocopy machine is available as self-service on the first floor of the Library. Photocopy charges are 10¢ (ten cents) per page. The machines will accept up to a $5.00 bill and make change.

Telefax services
  • Outgoing
  • Long distance - $2.00 long distance fee plus $1.00 a page
  • Local - $1.00 a page
  • Cover sheet is optional, but if desired, the fee is $1.00
  • Incoming
  • $1.00 per page
  • International
  • Long distance charges for international fax will be based on prevalent charges. International fax requests should be referred to the Library's Administration Secretary
Research Services
The VC/UHV Library Reference Desk is staffed by a professional librarian at all hours the library is open. Librarians can assist you with your research and provide assistance and instruction on Internet-related searching as well.

You can get help without coming to the library. Our Ask a Librarian service provides:
  • Email reference services. You can expect an answer within 24 hours
  • Chat services
  • Texting (SMS) services
  • Toll-free phone line
Check out more about Ask a Librarian

Returning Library Material

All media items should be returned to the Media Center, 2nd Floor, or the VC/UHV Library parking lot Media drop box.
There are 4 convenient locations to return library books:
  • VC/UHV Library 1st Floor Service Desk drop box
  • VC/UHV Library parking lot drop box (left side facing the front of the library)
  • VC Student Center drop box (front of the building)
  • UHV West Building drop box (inside left hallway)
Study and Conference Rooms
The 3rd floor of the Library has been designated as a quiet zone for individual study. Study carrels along the perimeter of that floor provide the quiet and isolation sometimes necessary for intense study and reading.

You may reserve a study room at the Media Center Desk (361-570-4199) on the 2nd floor of the Library. See our Spaces for Group Study page for information about the individual rooms available.

The Library lecture hall (room L-2) seats approximately 65 (sixty-five), and is available to all campus organizations. You may schedule this room through the Library's Circulation Desk, 361-570-4177.

Keys to study rooms must be checked out at the Media Center desk. Keys for the lecture hall are checked out at the Circulation Desk on the Library's first floor. You must have a current VC/UHV Library Card to check a key out.
Binding and Distributing Theses
The original and three copies of the approved thesis should be submitted for binding to the Sr. Director of Libraries as early as possible, but no later than 4:00p.m. on the last day of final exams for the semester or term in which the candidates expects to graduate.

Registration of a thesis is recommended for a number of reasons. Many choose to register their works because they wish to have the facts of their copyright on the public record and have a certificate or registration. Registered works may be eligible for statutory damages and attorney's fees in successful litigation.

Please fill out the following forms For more information, take a look at our Thesis Binding Guidelines.