Borrowing privileges provide extended loan periods for most library collections. See the table below:
|Collection Type||Loan Period|
|Main Collection & Local History||Six (6) months. [Three (3)
months for adjunct faculty]
May be renewed once by telephone, email or in person
|Periodicals||One (1) week|
|Reference & other non-circulating materials||Loaned at the discretion of the Library Director or
|Government Publications||Fourteen (14) days|
|Children's (Juvenile) collection||Fourteen (14) days. 10 book limit.|
|Multi-media materials||One (1) week. Longer loans can be
arranged with the Media Librarian.
Reference & Research Assistance
The library's Reference Desk is staffed by a professional librarian at all hours the library is open. Reference staff can help you with individual research needs, from updating course syllabi to tracking down an elusive citation.
To reach the Reference Desk by Phone:
- VC -- extension 3261
- UHV -- extension 4166
- Direct Dial -- 361-570-4166
- Toll-Free -- 800-687-5006
To reach us by Email:
- Ask a Librarian
- Karen Locher, Associate Director
- Lori Williamson, Access Services Librarian
- David Ticen, Bibliographic Instruction Librarian
- Amanda Breu, Instruction and Outreach Librarian
The Library invites all faculty to take advantage of our library instruction program for specific classroom and research needs. We can accommodate any size group for tours, demonstrations on using our catalog and databases, discussions of research techniques, and explanations of reference sources. Sessions can be a general overview of library resources or more in-depth specific to one academic discipline or sub-discipline. We can also provide "hands-on" sessions in campus computer labs. You can schedule library instruction with David Ticen, Bibliographic Instruction Librarian or Amanda Breu , Instruction and Outreach Librarian.
Reference staff also provides training for faculty on new databases and library technologies. We will come to your office or you can come to us. Contact David Ticen, Bibliographic Instruction Librarian or Amanda Breu , Instruction and Outreach Librarian to schedule.
Library services may be available at your campus. Please view our LibGuide to find out what services are available at your specific location.
Interlibrary loan service is available to all faculty. Through interlibrary loan (ILL) we can obtain books, periodical articles, and other materials from libraries all over the country.
Average turnaround time for books is about 1 week - 24/48 hours for periodical articles.
Connect to ILL Forms
Scheduling Lecture & Study Rooms
Library lecture hall and study rooms are available for class meetings.
|Room Number||Capacity||Amenities||Who to Contact|
|Main Library Room 301A||8||White Board||Abraham Mendoza|
|15||Conference style seating
VCR/DVD, camcorder, computer
with network connection, NEC
projector & screen
L-2 (Lecture Hall)
|75||12 ft. screen, UHV network
connection, white board
Placing Materials on Reserve
The VC/UHV Library supports Reserve Collections in both print and electronic formats. Items can be placed "on reserve" in print at UHS-Cinco Ranch campus, Fort Bend County University Branch Library on the Sugar Land campus, and the Lone Star College - University Center at Montgomery campus, as well as Victoria College's Gonzales campus and Calhoun County campus.
All reserve policies are in accordance with "fair use" provisions of Section 107 of the Copyright Law of the United States. For more information about placing items on reserve, contact:
- Main Library - Lori Williamson, Access Services Librarian (361-570-4161)
- Media Center - Jennifer Foster , Media Librarian (361-570-4195)
Book, Journal & Multimedia Purchase Requests
Librarians select materials for the instructional and general education needs of the students of the Victoria College and the University of Houston-Victoria. We appreciate faculty interest in the library's collections and welcome any suggestions or requests you may have for materials to support instructional needs or your own research and scholarship.
Requests for purchases may be sent to the following:
- Books -Gail Crockett , Head of Technical Services
- Periodicals -Gail Crockett , Head of Technical Services
- Multimedia -Jennifer Foster, Media Librarian (Due to the cost of multimedia items, some purchase requests may be approved only after preview.)
- OR, submit your books orders with our new ONLINE BOOK REQUEST FORM
We will make every effort to acquire materials quickly; however, out-of-print resources may require more time.
We can also route to you publisher's or bookseller's catalogs for selection. Please contact Gail Crockett, Head of Technical Services, if you wish to be placed on the routing for catalogs.
Routing of Journals
Most of the journals formerly routed to faculty in paper are now provided online. Databases to which the Library subscribes contain thousands of additional journals not available on campus when subscriptions were limited to paper. Journals can be accessed on or off campus. [See: Browsing Journals Online] For more information, contact Gail Crockett.
Off-Campus Access to Electronic Resources
Access to electronic resources is available to all faculty and students who are not at the Victoria campus facilities. All you need is the username and password which you already use for your Victoria College or University of Houston-Victoria assigned email account. If you or your students have any problems with off-campus access to our electronic resources, please contact Lori Williamson, Access Services Librarian or Karen Locher, Associate Director.
Using Other Libraries' Resources
Resources of libraries throughout the state of Texas are available to you through the TexShare card program. The TexShare card program is a reciprocal borrowing program. It is designed to allow the registered users of participating institutions to directly borrow materials from the libraries of other participating institutions. Those libraries that choose to participate sign a form stating they agree to honor the Card Program Agreement, which specifies the roles and responsibilities of the home and lending libraries, and library patrons. They have also placed their borrowing policies for the program in a central location at the TexShare website.
Registered users must obtain a TexShare Card from their home institution before they are able to check out materials from other participating institutions. To obtain a TexShare Card, contact the VC/UHV Library's Circulation Supervisor, Lori Williamson (361-570-4161).
For more information about the TexShare Card program, contact Lori Williamson, Access Services Librarian.
Faculty at the University of Houston-Victoria have borrowing privileges at other University of Houston libraries. Remore access to UH - Central Campus databases is not supported by the University of Houston System. For more information, contact Karen Locher, Associate Director.
The Library provides all of the above services to UHV faculty at Sugar Land, Cinco Ranch, and The Woodlands. In addition to the above, the following services are also available to faculty in those teaching facilities.
At Sugar Land:
- Print reserve items may be placed at the circulation desk in the University Branch library. Contact Lori Williamson in Victoria or Ashley Schmidt at the branch.(Electronic reserve is made available through the Victoria campus).
- Interlibrary Loan materials may also be picked up at the same location or in the office. Please contact Interlibrary Loan if you have any questions about location.
- An on-site librarian is available for bibliographic instruction or Reference assistance in Sugar Land.
At Cinco Ranch:
- Print reserve items are available for pickup in the Administration Office.
- Interlibrary Loan materials may be picked up at the Cinco Ranch administrative offices or in the library.
- An on-site librarian is available for bibliographic instruction or reference instruction.
At The Woodlands:
- Print reserves may be placed at the library in the LSC-University Center at the Montgomery building. Contact Lori Williamson in Victoria or Scott Gilbert at the LSC-University Center. (Electronic reserve is made available through the Victoria campus).
- Interlibrary Loan materials may be picked up at the library in the LSC-University Center at the Montgomery building. Please contact Interlibrary Loan if you have any questions.
- An on-site librarian is available for bibliographic instruction or reference assistance.
For questions regarding library service at Sugar Land, Cinco Ranch, or The Woodlands contact Lori Williamson, Access Services Librarian.