Skip to Content
newlogo Victoria College University of Houston-Victoria VC/UHV Library
Library Home >> Services for Faculty

Services for Faculty

Table of Contents
Book, Journal, & Multimedia Purchase Requests Placing Materials on Reserve
Browser & Technical Requirements Reference & Research Assistance
Circulation/Borrowing Privileges Routing of Journals
Faculty Publishing - Journals Scheduling Lecture & Study Rooms
Interlibrary Loan Distance Faculty
Library Instruction Using Other Libraries' Resources
Off-Campus Access to Electronic Resources Keeping Current with Your Discipline
Open Educational Resources

Circulation/Borrowing Privileges

Borrowing privileges provide extended loan periods for most library collections. See the table below:

Collection Type Loan Period
Main Collection & Local History Six (6) months. [Three (3) months for adjunct faculty]
May be renewed once by telephone, email or in person
Periodicals One (1) week
Reference & other non-circulating materials Loaned at the discretion of the Library Director or
Associate Director
Government Publications Fourteen (14) days
Children's (Juvenile) collection Fourteen (14) days.  10 book limit.
Multi-media materials One (1) week.  Longer loans can be
arranged with the Media Librarian.

Reference & Research Assistance

The library's Reference Desk is staffed by a professional librarian at all hours the library is open. Reference staff can help you with individual research needs, from updating course syllabi to tracking down an elusive citation.

To reach the Reference Desk by Phone:

To reach us by Email:

The Library invites all faculty to take advantage of our library instruction program for specific classroom and research needs. We can accommodate any size group for tours, demonstrations on using our catalog and databases, discussions of research techniques, and explanations of reference sources. Sessions can be a general overview of library resources or more in-depth specific to one academic discipline or sub-discipline. We can also provide "hands-on" sessions in campus computer labs. You can schedule library instruction with Amanda Breu , Instruction and Outreach Librarian or Laurie Neuerburg, Media and Outreach Librarian.

Reference staff also provides training for faculty on new databases and library technologies. We will come to your office or you can come to us. Contact Amanda Breu , Instruction and Outreach Librarian to schedule.

Library services may be available at your campus. Please view our LibGuide to find out what services are available at your specific location.

Interlibrary Loan

Interlibrary loan service is available to all faculty. Through interlibrary loan (ILL) we can obtain books, periodical articles, and other materials from libraries all over the country.

Average turnaround time for books is about 1 week - 24/48 hours for periodical articles.

Connect to ILL Forms

Scheduling Lecture & Study Rooms

Library lecture hall and study rooms are available for class meetings.

Room Number Capacity Amenities Who to Contact
Main Library Room 301A 8 White Board Abraham Mendoza
Main Library
Room 304
15 Conference style seating
VCR/DVD, camcorder, computer
with network connection, NEC
projector & screen
Greg Garcia
Main Library,
L-2 (Lecture Hall)
75 12 ft. screen, UHV network
connection, white board
Greg Garcia

Placing Materials on Reserve

The VC/UHV Library supports Reserve Collections in both print and electronic formats. Items can be placed "on reserve" in print at UHS-Cinco Ranch campus, Fort Bend County University Branch Library on the Sugar Land campus, and the Lone Star College - University Center at Montgomery campus, as well as Victoria College's Gonzales campus and Calhoun County campus.

All reserve policies are in accordance with "fair use" provisions of Section 107 of the Copyright Law of the United States. For more information about placing items on reserve, contact:

For information regarding copyright and fair use, contact Lori Williamson, Reference and Access Services Librarian (361-570-4161).

Book, Journal & Multimedia Purchase Requests

Librarians select materials for the instructional and general education needs of the students of the Victoria College and the University of Houston-Victoria. We appreciate faculty interest in the library's collections and welcome any suggestions or requests you may have for materials to support instructional needs or your own research and scholarship.

Requests for purchases may be sent to the following:

We will make every effort to acquire materials quickly; however, out-of-print resources may require more time.

We can also route to you publisher's or bookseller's catalogs for selection. Please contact Gail Crockett, Head of Technical Services, if you wish to be placed on the routing for catalogs.

Routing of Journals

Most of the journals formerly routed to faculty in paper are now provided online. Databases to which the Library subscribes contain thousands of additional journals not available on campus when subscriptions were limited to paper. Journals can be accessed on or off campus. [See: Browsing Journals Online] For more information, contact Gail Crockett.

Off-Campus Access to Electronic Resources

Access to electronic resources is available to all faculty and students who are not at the Victoria campus facilities. All you need is the username and password which you already use for your Victoria College or University of Houston-Victoria assigned email account. If you or your students have any problems with off-campus access to our electronic resources, please contact Lori Williamson, Reference and Access Services Librarian or Karen Locher, Associate Director.

Using Other Libraries' Resources

Resources of libraries throughout the state of Texas are available to you through the TexShare card program. The TexShare card program is a reciprocal borrowing program. It is designed to allow the registered users of participating institutions to directly borrow materials from the libraries of other participating institutions. Those libraries that choose to participate sign a form stating they agree to honor the Card Program Agreement, which specifies the roles and responsibilities of the home and lending libraries, and library patrons. They have also placed their borrowing policies for the program in a central location at the TexShare website.

Registered users must obtain a TexShare Card from their home institution before they are able to check out materials from other participating institutions.  To obtain a TexShare Card, contact the VC/UHV Library's Head of Reference and Access Services, Lori Williamson (361-570-4161).

Faculty at the University of Houston-Victoria have borrowing privileges at other University of Houston libraries. Remore access to UH - Central Campus databases is not supported by the University of Houston System. For more information, contact Karen Locher, Associate Director.

Distance Faculty

The Library provides all of the above services to UHV faculty at Sugar Land, Cinco Ranch, HCC Katy and The Woodlands. In addition to the above, please view our LibGuide to find out what other services are available at your specific location.


For questions regarding library service at any UHV location contact Lori Williamson, Reference and Access Services Librarian.