Skip to Content
newlogo Victoria College University of Houston-Victoria VC/UHV Library
Library Home >> Services for Distance Students

Services for Distance Students

Distance courses at the Victoria College and the University of Houston-Victoria include a wide variety of delivery options.  Some courses meet physically at a remote location.  Others meet via ITV transmitted from here in Victoria or are fully online.  The VC/UHV Library is committed to serving distance learners.  Please use the table of contents below to jump to specific information regarding using the library from a distance. Distance doesn't have to make a difference!

Table of Contents
Browser & Technical Requirements How Do I ask a Reference Question?
Electronic Reserves Interlibrary Loan
Finding Research Articles and Books Library Instruction
General Information for all students Off-Campus Access
Getting a library card Thesis Binding and Distribution Guidelines
Getting Copies of Books and Articles

Other library services may also be available for distant faculty or students.  Please contact Lori Williamson, Access Services Librarian or the Library's Reference Desk for further assistance.

Getting a Library Card/Student ID

All UHV students, regardless of location, are issued a Jaguar card upon registration. This is also your library card. Your barcode number is the 14 digit number on the back of the card. The card is used only to request Interlibrary Loan items or to check out items in Victoria; login access is through your student account. For further information on cards, see your location.

Students who attend classes online or at remote locations for either Victoria College or UHV may find a Texshare card will help you in your research. This card allows you to check out items from most public university libraries in Texas. Students can complete the online application form for a Texshare card. The card will be mailed to the address listed on your student record.

How Do I Ask a Reference Question?

Students at the UHS - Sugar Land students have a branch of the Fort Bend County Library on campus. Reserves materials and ILL can both be found there. Contact Alexandra Almestica for any assistance you need.

Students at the UHS-Cinco Ranch campus enjoy the services of a professional librarian, located at the Cinco Ranch facility. Contact the Cinco Ranch Librarian.

Reference services of the Library in Victoria are available to all students at any location. There is a reference librarian on duty whenever the library is open. All of the librarians are happy to help you with any questions or research assistance you may need. Appointments may be made if you need extended subject assistance.

Look here for specific services at your location.

You may contact the Library Reference librarians:

Finding Research Articles & Books

Getting Copies of Articles & Books

Many of our online journal indexes and databases contain the full text of the citations within. Other online indexes and databases contain a mixture of full text and citations with abstracts. Still others provide indexing for citations to journal articles only. These citations may by available full text in print formats located in the library.

Use our Journals List to determine if the citation you have found is available to you. The Journals List lists all journals available at the VC/UHV Library regardless of format (print, microform, electronic).

If the journal or book you need is not available through an online source, use our Interlibrary Loan Service for free document delivery

Interlibrary Loan

Use our Interlibrary Loan service to obtain a copy of journal articles located at the VC/UHV Library or other libraries. Free Document DeliverJournal articles usually are received within 48 hours after request. Photocopies will be sent to you via email. If you do not have email, the requested item will be delivered via U.S. Mail. All you have to do is fill out a form and we will do the rest.

Books. Multimedia items, and Curriculm Materials borrowed from the VC/UHV Library or other libraries must be checked out, and therefore cannot be mailed directly to students. Students may receive loaned books at their campus library. Books may also be requested through the interlibrary loan service of your local public library. Allow at least a week for delivery of books to your library.

Texas academic libraries (public and private) participate in a statewide sharing resource network called TexShare. If you wish to borrow an item yourself (in person) from another library, you can obtain a TexShare card from us. Contact Lori Williamson, Access Services Librarian for a TexShare card. More information about TexShare can be found at

Electronic Reserve

Electronic course reserves may have assigned course readings (journal articles, videos and other materials) placed at the request of your instructor. Access to electronic course reserves is located at Select your instructor's name from the list.

Passwords to electronic course reserves must be obtained from your instructor.

To access Electronic Course Reserves you should be using the latest version of the Adobe Reader. You can download the Adobe Reader for free.

Any physical reserves items will be available at a specific location on your campus.

For all questions regarding distance services contact:

Lori Williamson (Access Services Librarian)
361-570-4161 (voice and phone mail)
361-570-4155 (fax)
VC/UHV Library, 2602 N. Ben Jordan, Victoria, Tx 77901