VC/UHV Library, Serving Victoria College and University of Houston-Victoria Victoria College University of Houston-Victoria VC/UHV Library

Services for Distance Students

The VC/UHV Library offers a number of services to distance students
Distance courses at the Victoria College and the University of Houston-Victoria include a wide variety of delivery options. Some courses meet physically at a remote location. Others meet via ITV transmitted from here in Victoria or are fully online. The VC/UHV Library is committed to serving distance learners. Please use the table of contents below to jump to specific information regarding using the library from a distance. Distance doesn't have to make a difference!

Use the navigation bar on the left to browse what we offer

Frequently Asked Questions
Here is a list of questions students often ask. If you still need help, feel free to call at (361)-570-4166 or contact the library online.
How Do I Ask A Reference Question?
Reference services of the Library in Victoria are available to all students at any location. There is a reference librarian on duty whenever the library is open. All of the librarians are happy to help you with any questions or research assistance you may need. Appointments may be made if you need extended subject assistance.

Look here for specific services at your location.

You may contact the Library Reference Librarians:
Browser Requirements
Library databases often require an up-to-date browser. We recommend the following:
  • For Internet Explorer, Version 8 or higher
  • For Firefox, Version 10 or higher
  • For Chrome, Version 18 or higher
  • For Safari, Version 5 or higher
Use the links below if you need to download or update a browser

Other Settings

Some databases require javascript and / or cookies to be enabled. Here are links to instructions on how to check your settings

Enable Javascript
Enable Cookies

Last updated January 2017
Getting a Student ID/Library Card
Library cards are not necessary for students who are not on campus. You may request items through Interlibrary Loan, either from our collection or from another library, and they will be sent to your home campus library. Student ID cards are issued in at other campuses. Please see the Administrative office at your campus for further information.

UHV students may request a Paw pass by completing the online form in Jag Sync. The Paw Pass Serves as your library card.

Students who attend classes online or at remote locations for either Victoria College or UHV may find a Texshare card will help you with your research. This card allows you to check out items from most public university libraries in Texas. Students can complete the online application form for a Texshare card. The card will be mailed to the address listed in your student record.
Electronic Reserves
Electronic course reserves may have assigned course readings (journal articles, videos, and other materials) placed at the request of your instructor. Access to electronic course reserves is located at . Select your instructor's name from the list.

Passwords to electronic course reserves must be obtained from your instructor.

To access Electronic Course Reserves you should be using the latest version of Adobe Reader. You can download the Adobe Reader for free.

Any physical reserve items will be available at a specific location on your campus.
Getting Materials from Another Library
Free! Free! Free! Use our Interlibrary Loan services to obtain a copy of journal articles located at the VC/UHV Library or other libraries. Journal articles usually are received within 48 hours after request. Photocopies will be sent to you via email. If you do not have email, the requested item will be delivered via U.S. Mail. All you have to do is fill out a form and we will do the rest.

Books, Multimedia items, and Curriculum Materials borrowed from the VC/UHV Library or other libraries must be checked out, and therefore cannot be mailed directly to students. Students may receive loaned books at their campus library. Books may also be requested through the interlibrary loan service of your local public library. Allow at least a week for delivery of books to your library.

Texas academic libraries (public and private) participate in a statewide sharing resource network called TexShare. If you wish to borrow an item yourself (in person) from another library, you can obtain a TexShare card from us. Contact Lori Williamson, Head of Reference and Access Services Librarian for a TexShare card. More information about TexShare can be found at
Using the Library from Home or Off-Campus
  • Victoria College students use their BanSam email account and password to access databases off campus.

  • University of Houston-Victoria students use their UHV students accounts for access. This is the same one used for email, Blackboard, and computer lab access.
For or information, visit our Off-Campus Access page.
Getting Copies of Articles & Books
Many of our online journal indexes and databases contain the full text of the citations within. Other online indexes and databases contain a mixture of full text and citations with abstracts. Still others provide indexing for citations to journal articles only. These citations may be available full text in print formats located in the library.

Use our Journals List to determine if the citation you have found is available to you. The Journals List details all journals available at the VC/UHV Library regardless of format (print, microform, electronic).
Binding and Distributing Theses
The original and three copies of the approved thesis should be submitted for binding to the Sr. Director of Libraries as early as possible, but no later than 4:00p.m. on the last day of final exams for the semester or term in which the candidates expects to graduate.

Registration of a thesis is recommended for a number of reasons. Many choose to register their works because they wish to have the facts of their copyright on the public record and have a certificate or registration. Registered works may be eligible for statutory damages and attorney's fees in successful litigation.

Please fill out the following forms For more information, take a look at our Thesis Binding Guidelines.
For all questions regarding distance services contact:
Lori Williamson (Head of Access Services)
361-570-4161 (phone and voice mail)
361-570-4155 (fax)
VC/UHV Library, 2602 N. Ben Jordan, Victoria TX 77901